Welcome! Tally ho!

Our B.V.I. Adventure is designed to give our family, friends and any other interested followers a look into the life of two expatriates making their way on the island of Tortola. Tortola is the largest island in the British Virgin Islands.

So, why did we move 2,000 miles away from our home in Knoxville, Tennessee? Michael accepted a position as the director of retail and international sales for a Caribbean clothing brand.

Cheers!

Adventurers

Posts Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

living in the British virgin islands
Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 23: Definition of a bad BVI day

If you've seen the movie Hitch, with Will Smith, then you can picture what I looked like on Tuesday morning when I awoke.  You know the scene when he catches a glimpse of himself in the mirror after having an allergic reaction to shellfish? 



Well, we had our own little reaction in this house...

"Michael?  Miiiiiichael?" I screamed as my good eye focused on my reflection in the mirror.  I could not believe what I was seeing.  I ran into the other room and grabbed Michael's arm.  The look on his face was priceless.  My left eye was swollen shut. 

We immediately began searching for a diagnosis online.  In the midst of all of this, Michael brought me a Benadryl tablet and some water.  It turns out the swelling was due to a bite of some kind.  That's right.  A mosquito bite or possibly a spider bite. {I cringe at the thought of the latter...}

Fortunately, I was in no pain - just suffering from a dose of humility and self-abasement as I posed for several photos.  Why we felt the need to take pictures of this unfortunate event is beyond me, but we have 20 different shots, and no, I will not be posting them here.

About the time Michael headed off to work and I logged onto my computer, it hit me.  Or should I say the Benadryl hit me.



Trying to work while under the influence of Benadryl is not much fun, nor is walking the dog and running into your neighbor.  I think my sunglasses covered the swollen eye, but I could hardly put a sentence together. 

This is only half of our bad BVI day.  Michael was working at the Pusser's headquarters on this day and around 2:00 p.m. he received a call from the warehouse downstairs.  There was a large truck attempting to make a delivery and he needed to move his car. 

Because he is so thoughtful, he offered to move his co-workers car as well.  She was blocking the same truck.  Michael moved her car to another spot in the parking lot and parked our car on the street.  Problem solved!  Not so fast...

About five minutes pass and Michael receives another call from the warehouse.  His car had been hit.  He laughed to himself as he walked downstairs because the car is already a beater and he figured it would be difficult to pinpoint which dent was new.

He laughed aloud when he saw the actual damage.  Another SUV (much newer and prettier than ours) had been pulling out of a driveway when her gas pedal got stuck.  Her car slammed into ours and pushed it up and over the curb.  Our car slid about six feet along the concrete wall.

Check out this photo that Michael took on his Blackberry.  {He doesn't have data on his phone and can't send photos.}


{Milly wanted in on the action.}

Thank goodness the lady was not hurt.  She was very apologetic and Michael assured her, he was not upset.  She was so grateful!  And in the end, we might be too.  We have received two estimates for the repairs and our car might come out of this looking better than it did before!  I don't think it's possible that it could look any worse. 


                                         

It doesn't get any more real than this!

0 comments: