Welcome! Tally ho!

Our B.V.I. Adventure is designed to give our family, friends and any other interested followers a look into the life of two expatriates making their way on the island of Tortola. Tortola is the largest island in the British Virgin Islands.

So, why did we move 2,000 miles away from our home in Knoxville, Tennessee? Michael accepted a position as the director of retail and international sales for a Caribbean clothing brand.



Posts Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Day 4: Progress

So after our meltdown yesterday, we have made significant progress.  Day 4 has been all about progress.  Remember our list?

Buy a car: CHECK!  We bought a used Mitsibushi Montero SUV.  We will probably buy a newer version of the same car next week, when the financing is in place.  Michael likes it because he says it's fratty.  Can't you just hear him?  I guess it's true what they say...You can take the boy out of the South, but you can't take the South out of the boy! 

Get a phone: CHECK!  Not only did I get a phone, I got an iphone!  That's right, one of the local cell phone providers has a deal with Apple and sells UNlocked iphones that can be used on their network.  Not bad, huh?  I'm loving it so far. 

Michael has his work cell phone - both plans are unlimited calling and texting to the U.S.  SO, here are our numbers!

Michael 1(284)542-4777
Amelia  1(284)499-0550

Retrieve our belongings from Customs:  CHECK!  This was a tricky one...we had to go to the Port Authority and sign in.  They sent us to the Customs office.  Two agents then escorted us to a warehouse where we searched for our box of things.  After a 10 minute search, we found it.  Here it is! 

{Michael's "smile" cracks me up.  He was very dismayed by my attempt to document this process with our camera.  He thought for sure that the agents would confiscate the camera and escort us out of the warehouse.  What an imagination he has...no seriously, he was right to be concerned.  We don't know the laws around here.}

Anyway, so finding the box of goods was only the first step.  Because the box was so large and full of other small boxes, it was determined that the Customs agents would have to follow us to our home and watch us unpack the boxes to make sure they contained what we said they contained.  {We had provided them an itemized list a few weeks ago.}   Oh, and a shout out to Alyson and Catharyn back in Knoxville for helping me pack all of this stuff!  The fruits of our labor gals!

We were scheduled for a 2pm delivery...but the delivery never came.  I was sitting here waiting for the truck, prepared to help unpack, etc...Michael ended up having to go back down to the port.  One of the Customs agents had a son with a truck.  {You know where this is going.}  We fired the original movers and waited for this woman's son to come and put our big box in the bed of his F250.  That's right.  We strapped a 1,300 lbs box full of our belongings to a truck and started praying.

Our house is only a mile away from the port, however the hills are so steep and a regular car feels like it's going to tip over and roll down the side of the mountain into the Sir Francis Drake Channel.  The truck made it though and we were able to unload our things easily.  PHEW!